Knight Scientific is a world-leader in antioxidants, oxidative stress and measurement of free radicals and other reactive oxygen species (ROS) from living cells and materials. It develops and provides unique solutions for medical research, sports/performance (including horses and camels) natural product testing, pharmaceutical drug development, wellbeing testing and diagnostics applications.
Our products and testing services are sold all over the world, under the brand ABEL® which is an acronym for Analysis By Emitted Light. Most of these products contain Pholasin® the light-emitting protein that is an ultrasensitive reporter of many reactive oxygen species.
We offer a comprehensive range of assays as well as test kits for microplate luminometers and tube luminometers. These kits fall into two groups: antioxidant test kits for measuring antioxidant activity against a range of free radicals and non-radical reactive oxygen species (ROS) and Cell Activation test kits that measure real time production of ROS from living cells and materials; we also supply reagents. Our assays and kits are all based on our proprietary ABEL® technology and most incorporate the bioluminescent protein Pholasin®.
Unique products offered by Knight Scientific include:
ABEL® Antioxidant test kits and applications for:
- Hydroxyl radicals
- Halogenated oxidants
- Peroxyl radical
- Singlet oxygen
ABEL-RACTM (Relative Antioxidant Capacity) method:
- quantifies antioxidant power per mass (usually mg) of ingredients and finished products
- identifies and measures possible synergies between ingredients in formulations
- measures performance of ingredients and products in different environments
- measures the capacity of a test material or finished product to withstand attack by a range of different ROS (see list above); ABEL-RACTMmg scores quoted for each ROS tested.
- can be used directly in formulae
- is used for producing standardised products based on natural ingredients which are perfectly matched for activity and efficacy, batch to batch.
ABEL-TACTM (Total Antioxidant Capacity) test:
- Produces a score that can be used to compare antioxidant capacity of serum or plasma of humans and other animals
- ABEL-TACTM individual scores can be compared to population norms as well as providing accurate individual scores, changes in which can be monitored over time.
- ABEL-TACTM is useful in managing individuals whose poor diet could be leading to development of type II diabetes.
- ABEL-TACTM is a great tool for nutritionists and dietitians to use alongside their professional advice
ABEL® Cell Activation test kits:
- Used to measure free radicals and other reactive oxygen species produced by living cells. The kits can also be adapted for use on biomaterials for biocompatibility studies, and human and animal tissues and organs.
- ABEL®Cell Activation test kits can be used in applications to identify infections, often before there are any symptoms and monitor the response to therapeutic interventions (proof of cure). The test results can be used to Identify viral infections distinct from bacterial infections.
- ABEL-Sport test kits and associated analysis software is used by sports medical support teams, sports scientists, coaches and elite athletes to measure and manage fatigue in order to prevent over training. In addition, the test measures inflammation, can identify depression & anxiety and most important it can detect infections, sometimes 48 hours before there are any symptoms; It often identifies viral infections distinct from bacterial.
- Equine-ABELTMfor elite horses to identify fatigue, prevent over training, infection, inflammation and assess fitness to race.
- Camel-ABELTM special applications have been developed for camels. Please contact us for more information.
ABEL® bespoke confidential applications for research
Knight Scientific can work with you, in confidence, to design and carry out research projects. We also offer bespoke confidential contract testing – contact us to discuss your requirements and to get a quote.
ABELmeterTM: Our ground-breaking portable tube luminometer is perfect for all chemiluminescent assays run in or out of the lab. It is accurate, sensitive, robust and easy to use and carry. The performance of the ABELmeterTM with its associated application software, is unsurpassed by anything to our knowledge for sensitivity, reproducibility, robustness and the translation of light detected into light response curves.
P-sepTM: A patented and CE marked medical device for separating urine into first pass and mid-stream fractions during collection. The device is easy to use and can be reused. This is especially important for use at home and in residential care homes.
Knight Scientific’s ABEL® assays are so sensitive that they can extend the capabilities of even the highest specification instruments. Certain applications can run on 96- and 384-well microplates.
Whatever we can do to help we would be very happy to hear from you. Simply telephone +44 (0)1752 565676 or email email@example.com.
We do the Science, you get the Benefits